Tuesday, November 11, 2014

What a journey

I texted back and forth with my good friend Brent Austin tonight after the annual meeting of the Kentucky Baptist Convention came to a close. I thanked him for the fact that some 10 1/2 years ago he, and the pastor search committee of five, had enough confidence to recommend to Eastwood that they call a man from the hills of Tennessee to be the next pastor. Ten years ago last month this journey began and I am sure it has taken many of us who call Eastwood 'home' to places we never expected to go.

Many of you my Eastwood family have been on mission with God literally to the other side of the world carrying the Good News of Jesus to a lost and dying world. You probably had never given thought to ever going to East Asia or Africa or Europe and yet that's exactly where God has taken you. Others of you 10 years ago did not know Eastwood existed much less that the Lord would call you to join the church or come on staff at the church. And yet that is exactly what God did.

I too never imagined I would pastor a people as loving and compassionate as you. Don't get me wrong, I had pastored three great churches prior to coming to Eastwood, but there just something special about the relationship I have with you church family. Please hear my heart and know you are loved! Thank you to many in leadership, who when the topic of KBC leadership first came up as a possibility, you had faith in me and encouraged me to allow the Lord to open this door if it were His will. And Eastwood staff ... I am such a blessed pastor! You guys are incredible! Unless the Lord takes me on to glory, I hope He allows me to finish out my journey as a pastor not just of any church but of this church and I pray each of you are by my side as we serve the Lord in this place.

To my Kentucky Baptist Convention friends. Thank you for the trust you have extended by allowing me the opportunity to serve this year. In reflecting today, I thought of men like preacher Morrison in our church who pastored faithfully for about 50 years in Barren County. Guys like he and so many others who served faithfully for so much longer than I have and I'm sure because of their life and ministry experiences make them more qualified and deserving to hold this position than I.

Yet seemingly this is what God has called me to do this year and so I venture into unchartered territory for me. I am able to approach these days with confidence. Confidence not in my skills but rather in the God who has called me and the wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ He has surrounded me with. God has blessed our state convention with capable and godly leaders at our convention office and it will be my privilege, even if only for a season, to work alongside of them to make the name of Jesus known across our commonwealth. What a journey ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I Wish I Knew When I Was Younger

June 14, 2017 AARP published an article entitled “ The Age at Which You Are Officially Old. ” They cited a study done that year by U. S. Tru...