Wednesday, May 1, 2019

The Tragic Loss of a Students' Life

I live in a 3-story apartment building here in Rolla; thankfully I’m on the first floor. There are 5-6 buildings and they are building more. I don’t know the percentage but I’d say the apartment residents are about 80% students at Missouri S&T where I work. They are kind and courteous and easy to speak to.

Sunday late afternoon I pulled into the complex and noticed there were police officers present, a gathered group of students, and some adults that looked about my age. Since they were parked / standing in front of my stairwell I walked over toward the mailboxes where some female students were standing and told them I live in that stairwell and asked if they knew what was going on.  They told me that a male student on one of the floors above me had evidently died; they had carried him down and put him in the back of the coroner’s truck that was sitting there. The Rolla police were talking to who I later found out where the young man’s parents. The university chancellor was gathered with the male students by the stair well. As I walked toward my apartment the grief was evident on the faces of all. 

I sat in my apartment somewhat stunned at the thought a student that lived above me had died. There hasn’t been an obituary yet and I haven’t heard how the young man died, but that really doesn't matter. Thinking about the loss of his life, two thoughts became very real to me. 

1.    Life as he knew it was over – I used that phrasing on purpose. His physical life, the only life he’d known was now over but his soul lives on. This young man is in eternity in one of only two possible destinations. Based on some of his mother’s social media posts the family seemed very active in the Lutheran Church and I hope he personally knew the hope of the gospel.  
2.    Life is short – James 4:14 refers to our life as a “mist” that quickly vanishes. In Job 14:1, Job says, “Man who is born of a woman is few of days and full of trouble.” When I have to enter my age on a website and watch all of those numbers scroll to get to 1961, I realize how much of life is behind me; life is short!

Question: How much time do you think this young’s parents spent that afternoon mad over something that happened 6 months or 6 years ago? I’m guessing likely not at all. I’m guessing they were consumed with the thought of desiring just a few more minutes to express to their son how much they loved him. 

Life is far too short not to love, laugh, and forgive. We should love today like there’s no tomorrow … because for some there isn’t. We should laugh every day … most of the time at ourselves for the blunders we make. We should forgive easily … anger and hate hurt the vessel they are in far more than the one they are aimed at. 

So here it is in a nutshell:
§ Play your favorite songs loud
§ Give BIG hugs
§ Practice peace
§ See the beauty in every situation
§ Dream big and work to make your dreams come true
§ Don’t worry about the things you have no control over
§ Make time to call loved ones
§ Visit friends and family that are far away. You never know when the last opportunity to do so will pass.


Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I Wish I Knew When I Was Younger

June 14, 2017 AARP published an article entitled “ The Age at Which You Are Officially Old. ” They cited a study done that year by U. S. Tru...