Tuesday, April 19, 2011

working out

So 2011 has started (at least since February 1st when we joined the ROC at 1st Baptist) as the year of the “workout”. I have been going at least 4 times weekly to walk 2-3 miles at a fast pace then lift weights. I haven’t seen the weight loss I’d like to, but I think that has more to do with my eating habits than it does my working out. I just finished my lunch hour with a workout and a shower and now am back at the office feeling really well.

I remember that 1st workout in February … I stood in the doorway of their fitness center, and that particular day the center was filled with slim and trim, toned and tuned hard bodies. My greatest fear was that they would all look up at me simultaneously and fall to the floor, laughing hysterically. As I entered I couldn’t help but notice the mirrors on the walls ... they seemingly were everywhere. Guys lifting weights were staring at their arms as they lifted. I carefully ignored the mirrors since I already knew what I looked like.

So I get back to the office today and I started reading in the Word and come to 1 Timothy 4:8 which states, “For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.” So what is the Apostle Paul saying? Is he telling Timothy not to worry about exercise and the care of his body? No. I think it’s similar to when the Pharisees were puffed up about their tithing and neglecting justice, mercy, and faith. Jesus tells them “These you ought to have done without leaving the others undone.” So I think Paul is telling us we should spiritually workout toward the end of godliness without leaving the care of the physical body “undone”.

Wouldn’t it be great if there were such a thing as a spiritual workout system with machines similar to those in fitness centers that can zero in on specific muscles you want to develop. My spiritual fitness center would be a place with individual stations where muscles of the faith would be purposely developed, a place where we could be intentional about cultivating spiritual stamina.

So having resolved to work out this year, today I’m resolving to spend even more time than in the past exercising some “spiritual muscles”. I plan on targeting the following areas:
1. My tongue – no necessarily by talking more but rather by harnessing my tongue more. To be quiet when it’s time and to be bold when it’s time and the wisdom to know the difference between the two.
2. My eyes – the bible is littered with characters like David, Samson and even Achan who saw their lives ruined by sins that began with the eyes (which I believe are a window to the heart). So I resolve to train even more my eyes to focus on the things and ways of God.
3. My neck – I remember playing football we’d do many neck exercises to strengthen the neck and hopefully avoid perilous injury. How many times do we find God in His Word calling His people “stiff-necked”? It’s not that their necks were literally stiff but that they were stubborn and proud. So I’m going to exercise my “neck” to help protect from getting stubborn and proud with God.
4. My hands – I can use my hands in service or blessing to others, but the Lord desires that they be “clean” first. James 4:8 says, “Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded”. This exercise station will have plenty of towels which will serve to remind me to go “wash the feet” of others by serving them.
5. My knees – I’d also have a station that required a person on their knees in order to fulfill this exercise. It likely would have to be done with a bowed head as well (prayer). Prayer has a way of loosening muscles that are in knots from the strain of worry, pressure, stress, and long hours of work.

Let me close by reminding you of Romans 12:1-2. “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your BODIES a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God”

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I Wish I Knew When I Was Younger

June 14, 2017 AARP published an article entitled “ The Age at Which You Are Officially Old. ” They cited a study done that year by U. S. Tru...