Monday, September 12, 2011

3000+ sermons

I was sitting in my office today doing a little reflecting; Mondays are typically good for that. Mondays I’m typically “spent” from Sunday (preaching 4 times can be both physically and emotionally draining) and so I find myself often looking back on the worship services of Sunday and reflecting on life in general. I deiced to do a little math today. I’ve been pastoring almost 21 years now, and have probable preached on average 49 weeks a year, planning 3 sermons a week. That blew my mind to think that I’ve preached more than 3,050 different messages!

I’ve learned some lessons over the years with the most important being that being a pastor is not “difficult” … it’s impossible. Apart from the call of God, and the daily filling by the Spirit of God, there’s no way I’d have been in the pastorate for as long as I have. I’ve made more than my share of mistakes as a pastor, and looking back there are many things I’d do differently if I only knew “then” what I know now. So as I sit reflecting today I thought I’d make a list of what I’ve hoped to embody in the ministry the Lord has given to me. I came up with a list of 12 things I pray my ministry has been “marked” with …
1. Integrity – as Christians our lives should be marked by the highest standards of conduct, character, and ethics and as a pastor I should model this.
2. Vision – I’ve tried to cast vision and dream dreams for the people of God so that they might be all that the Lord desires for them to be.
3. Wisdom – why would anyone seek to follow an unwise leader? I’ve probably been more of a “wise guy” at times, but I’ve tried to seek the mind of Christ that I might then have a word from Him for His people.
4. Communication – preaching really boils down to communication. The caution for me has been to try and communicate what the Lord wants said … as John the Baptist said of Jesus in John 3:30 “He must increase, but I must decrease.” This is especially true in trying to communicate a Word from God through preaching.
5. Motivation – change requires risk, challenge and personal growth. To accomplish this there must be motivational leadership which inspires others.
6. Decisiveness – leaders must make wise decisions. Every decision has not been “perfect” but I’ve found God’s people will forgive the occasional wrong decision and remain loyal but will not long tolerate indecision on part of their pastor.
7. Risk-taking – I believe too many pastors are afraid to take risks. They get comfortable in their position then their people become complacent. It was William Carey who first said that we are to “expect great things from God, and attempt great things for God.” Is it really faith if we only attempt what we can reasonably do on our own? We should be willing to follow the Lord to the point that we attempt things that are doomed to failure unless the He intervenes.
8. Compassion – it’s true, people do not care how much you know until they know how much you care. My experience has been that people will generally follow leaders that they know are genuinely concerned for their well-being.
9. Humility – though I probably come across to most as very self-assured, I am my own worst critic.
10. Self-control – boy this is one I’ve learned the hard way. Leaders need ability to stay calm in midst of turmoil.
11. Balance – another one of those things I’m convinced most only learn the “hard way”. Pastors must be able live well balanced life emotionally, physically, spiritually and mentally. To do this requires the ability to build in boundaries and being able to say “No” at times.
12. Humor – I think life is meant to be enjoyed. I can’t take myself so seriously that I’m not willing to laugh at my mistakes.

Some of you will likely read this today and way “What in the world?”. I’m guessing I wrote this post more for myself than for others; it was therapeutic. But I do hope I’ve been able to portray the philosophy of ministry I’ve tried to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I Wish I Knew When I Was Younger

June 14, 2017 AARP published an article entitled “ The Age at Which You Are Officially Old. ” They cited a study done that year by U. S. Tru...