Friday, September 16, 2011

Phsyicals and spiritual check-ups

Having hit the BIG 5-0 this year has had few side effects … in fact I don’t feel a day over 49 most days (grin). One thing I decided to do though was to go to the doctor and get a physical. I hadn’t had one in about 7 years and so it was time. Most everything went well and many things were exceptional. I have a couple of follow-up things to do based on some lab work and simply my age but all in all it was good.

But after this physical I sat at my desk contemplating … when was the last time I had a “spiritual physical”? Just as my doctor today asked a lot of diagnostic questions, what are the diagnostic questions that would help the Great Physician reveal to me how I’m doing and what I need to work on?

First I think the Great Physician would establish my “case history”. I’m reminded of where I’ve come from (how lost I was and unable to save myself … truth is not even desiring to be saved) and where I am today. The Physician would also then talk about where I want to be 6 months or a year from now and what steps need to be taken to get there.

Next we would probably review what “medicines” I’m taking and what they were for. This would be the Physician reminding me of “problem areas” in my life where I am prone to run into sin or trouble. He’d likely remind me of the “medicine” (my quiet time with Him, avoiding certain places and temptations, etc…) and how I need to regularly take this medicine to avoid future trouble.

Just as my earthly doctor asked how I’d been eating and if I’d been exercising, I think the Great Physician would ask about my spiritual appetite. Have I been desiring the meat of the Word? Have I been feasting on it? Having I been exercising the spiritual gifts He’s given to me? Have I been faithfully serving Him the way I was designed to?

The doctor today pointed out a couple of “pre-cancerous” spots that needed to be removed and we scheduled that. Likewise the Great Physician would likely point out some “pre-cancerous” attitudes or actions that if I don’t remove them likely would lead to much greater trouble down the road.

Finally when you turn 50 the doctor typically wants to schedule a routine colonoscopy. This is where they look on your “insides” to make sure there’s nothing there that needs to be removed … it is preventive as much as anything, so we scheduled that. This reminds me that the Great Physician looks at more than just my outside appearance but gazes into my heart. I know I need to listen to Him as He describes what He sees. If there’s anything going on inside of me, than He certainly knows the remedy and so as I listen I then must confess, repent, pray up, mend relationships, really do whatever the Physician prescribes so that I can be all I’m created to be.

What about you? When was the last time you had a physical? When was the last time you allowed the Great Physician to give you a thorough examination?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I Wish I Knew When I Was Younger

June 14, 2017 AARP published an article entitled “ The Age at Which You Are Officially Old. ” They cited a study done that year by U. S. Tru...