Friday, April 5, 2019

Lessons learned as a pastor - Part #3


Here is another attempt at capturing and putting into words some of the things I learned through 28+ years of ministry.


  1. Busyness and prioritization – There is more than enough things to keep a person “busy” in ministry. There are always meetings to attend, visits to make, and sermon preparation to take care of. It seemed like there was an endless stream of “one more thing” (s) that I had to find time for. This taught me the importance of prioritizing things. We really do find or make the time for those things that are important to us. For instance my days may be jam-packed but I rarely miss a meal (you can tell I know). Why do I rarely miss a meal? Because I decided long ago that meals were a priority and so I make time for them. I wish I could tell you that I had mastered the ability of prioritizing the right things; putting first the things of more importance. But I, like you I’m guessing, are a work in progress. The next time you are tempted to say you can’t do something because you are busy, stop and ask yourself a question. Am I really too busy to do this or is it just not a priority? And if it’s not a priority ask yourself and the Lord if it should be.
  2. Came to know that I don’t know – The longer I was a pastor, the more I realized how much I simply didn’t know or understand. So I began to look for wisdom in many venues: magazines, books, news articles, commentaries, etc. Proverbs 4:7 states, “The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.” Solomon, the wisest man ever, said the beginning of wisdom is having the desire to get wisdom. In other words know what you don’t know and seek to learn it. Coming out of seminary I was like a 20 year old moving out of the house for the first time. I thought I had the answers to all of the questions and the older I got the more I realized I didn’t even know the right questions.
  3. Suffering – There are many things one can learn about suffering but I learned as a pastor one of my responsibilities was to prepare others for suffering (no I’m not talking about suffering through one of my sermons … although they could be painful at times). D. A. Carson said, “All we have to do is live long enough and we will suffer.” Jesus said, “In this world you will have tribulation” (John 16:33). I saw through the years the fact that often times I didn’t suffer “well”.  If we know that we live in a fallen and sinful world where we will suffer, we should do all that we can now to prepare to suffer well; in a way that will glorify God. In the midst of the darkness of suffering is not the time to think about how we are going to endure suffering; that time is in the light of day, when we can see clearly things which likely will be hidden by the darkness of suffering.
  4. God worked in spite of me – Seemingly every Sunday before I’d get up to preach I’d be aware of my own unworthiness to stand before our God and speak a word for Him. In saying that, I’m reminded of a story my mentor told me. He said one Sunday morning he and his wife had a little spat. In his irritation he said, “That’s just great. Now I’m angry and I’m not worthy to preach.” He said his wife looked at him and said, “On your best day you are not worthy to preach.” How true that is. No one is worthy to be used by God yet He uses us in spite of ourselves. I learned that God could use a very imperfect vessel like me because when He did, then He got the glory.


Thanks for reading my blog!


Tom

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy every one of your commentaries. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete

What I Wish I Knew When I Was Younger

June 14, 2017 AARP published an article entitled “ The Age at Which You Are Officially Old. ” They cited a study done that year by U. S. Tru...