Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ups and downs, questions and answers

Is it just me or does the Christian life sometimes feel like a roller coaster ride? There are days when my strong hope and faith collide with an unexpected reality in my life; one of those “uh oh” moments when something happens that I didn’t see coming. Other roller coaster moments for me are when my prayers aren't answered as I desired or when my dreams become shattered. When this happens, invariably for me disappointment, and sometimes disillusionment come as a result.

I believe that all of us, whether we’re new Christians or long-time believers, battle feelings of disappointment when life goes wrong. Deep down somewhere in the recesses of our hearts is the belief that following Christ should give us special immunity against trouble. We're like Peter, who wanted to remind Jesus, "We have left everything to follow you." (Mark 10:28). The reality is most of us haven’t “left everything” to follow Jesus, but most of us have made some painful sacrifices. So we ask ourselves, “Shouldn’t that count for something?” and thus we hope for that free pass when it comes to suffering and disappointment.

What makes matters worse, at least in my heart as I wrestle with this, is the fact that godless people seem to be thriving with a sort of “Midas touch” where everything they touch turns to gold. I wrestle with the question why are they doing so well and I’m not. This week I have had to remind myself of a lesson I learned several years ago. Namely, when I’m in the midst of pain and disappointment the correct question is not “Why Lord?” but rather “What Lord?”. I’ll be honest, it is hard to ask the “right” question when the hurt and disappointment are so very real. But I’m trying to learn to ask the right questions … “What Lord are You trying to teach me? What Lord do You want me to do next?”

But what do you do when you ask the “right” questions and get no answer or the answers you do get just don’t seem to be enough? Let me close by quoting from the Scott Wesley Brown song when Answers Aren’t Enough …

You have faced the mountains of desperation
You have climbed, you have fought, you have won
But this valley that lies coldly before you
Casts a shadow you cannot overcome

And just when you thought you had it all together
You knew every verse to get you through
But this time the sorrow broke more than just your heart
And reciting all those verses just won't do

When answers aren't enough, there is Jesus
He is more than just an answer to your prayer
And your heart will find a safe and peaceful refuge
When answers aren't enough, He is there

1 comment:

What I Wish I Knew When I Was Younger

June 14, 2017 AARP published an article entitled “ The Age at Which You Are Officially Old. ” They cited a study done that year by U. S. Tru...